Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dumb Chevy Traverse commercial

Okay, so as you are aware, Jeff and I have been watching the Olympics every night since they started. We watch until our eyes close or until Bob wishes a good night with his closing remarks. Last night, he spoke directly to us in talking about sleep deprived folks due to the Olympics. That would be us! Last night I felt even odder since I had already read the results of the uneven bars and knew what happened to Nastia, yet I stayed up long after she was done performing and watched her get her silver. I also know the results for the beam exercise tonight for Shawn and Nastia, but I will no doubt be staying up and watching them anyway.

The one thing that has driven me nuts for days now is this way dumb (dare I say the S word, STUPID) Chevy Traverse commercial. If you have watched at least one night of the Olympics, you have seen this bizarre commercial. It is of a man with big shiny white teeth and no shirt ironing while making reservations on the phone for some 6 month anniversary. The whole time he is smiling. At one point he holds up a cute little dress that he ironed. They then show the cool Chevy Traverse and how it is great for everything. Then they show this man (still shirtless) on the floor happily cleaning a toilet. EVERYTIME I see this commercial it completly distracts me and makes me wonder what its point is. And you know when you have a question you go to the world wide web for the answer. I found that many, many people found this commercial to be dumb and annoying. When looking for the meaning behind this mans actions most will agree that Chevy is trying to show us women the "perfect man" so that we will see that the Traverse is just like him and is the "perfect vehicle" for us. I am sooooo sorry but I missed that message in there. I honestly couldn't remember this morning what the name of the vehicle was. I just remembered that man's cheezy smile, ironing away in his nice clean living room with his dark jeans on that I would actually yell at my husband for cleaning a toilet in. I mean really can you say 'bleach stains'. Anyway, just venting away about how commercials have gone so far to try to reach us and make us want their product - that they have actually ended up confusing and frustrating this consumer to a point of not even caring what the commerial is for but what the commercial means. UGH!

Oh by the way, the meds the Dr gave Jeff seem to be helping some. However, it is still 4-9 days before we have official results on what might have been ailing him. Ah, sarcasm, gotta love it.

3 comments:

Wags said...

Oh Big T, c'mon... I saw that commcercial and laughed REALLY loud. I even asked Reagan "HAVE YOU SEE THIS? IT'S HILLARIOUS!" and told him all about it. Got it right away. It's actually a new favorite. I stop what I'm doing and watch it everytime. he he he Gave me a little chuckle now just thinking about it... :)

Becky said...

Okay Wags...fess up...you don't like that commercial because it's funny...your giggle wasn't because it was funny...we KNOW why it's your favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

Mama T - I am so with you. I asked Ryan last night what that commercial meant!!! He did not get it either so I'm glad that you have done the research. I will pass this info on to Ryan. I will NEVER buy that car based off THAT commercial!! Now, let Jeff Gordon drive a Traverse around the block and we're talkin'!!!