Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Getting in the Christmas Spirit

We have lived in TN since Oct 2001. That makes this my ninth Christmas season in the south. Now I feel I have adapted quite well to the south. I know how to use y'all correctly. I know how long fixin' to really is. Half of my children speak with a strong southern accent. My cooking style has changed and I LOVE cooking with real butter. My mama (southern for my mom) even says that when I am around my TN friends I have an accent. So all in all I think I have adapted well to being in the south. However, I still have a small issue . . . Christmas time!
Growing up with white Decembers, that is what I associate with Christmas time. Seeing the lights of the houses glisten off the fresh snow. Gloves, hats, and winter jackets zipped up tight to keep you warm. The crunch of the snow under your big fuzzy warm boots as you shop from store to store. Sledding down the big hills for days without the snow melting. Being able to see your breath each time you are outside. A reason for hot chocolate and a roaring fire. These are just a few of the things that put me right into the Christmas spirit. I find it hard for me to think about Christmas when it is 45-50 degrees out and either sunny or raining. When my kids can be outside without jackets on, it is wierd to be decorating for Jesus' birthday inside. It is strange to me to see Christmas lights in front of houses along with green grass and flowers blooming.
Now don't get me wrong, I love me some TN. I just miss my white Christmas! So let us all join together and pray for some pretty white stuff to fall on Christmas Day . . . just enough . . . with temps just in the low 30's to make it stay for the day . . . will you folks from the south agree with me for just that day??? Thanks, appreciate it!
(PS Not so sure I would be excited about white Christmas if I was living in NE tomorrow - 30 degree winds with 8-12 inches of snow . . . that is some snot-freezing, face-hurting kind of weather! That I don't miss. But be safe my NE family and friends!)

No comments: